Friday, March 30, 2012

pros/cons of using Default instance and Named instance for Prod Se

Hi,
What is the pros and cons of using Default instance and Named instance for
Production Server?
I have been working with Default and I had no need for named instances.
We have a physical/vm servers for all environments.
Production always have a physical server.
So I have not needed a named instance.
What do you recommend to use in Production?
Thanks in advance.SQLapprentice wrote:
> Hi,
> What is the pros and cons of using Default instance and Named
> instance for Production Server?
> I have been working with Default and I had no need for named
> instances. We have a physical/vm servers for all environments.
> Production always have a physical server.
> So I have not needed a named instance.
> What do you recommend to use in Production?
> Thanks in advance.
I don't believe it makes any difference. You can install named instances on
the same server without additional licensing concerns (there is a limit I
believe of 8). However, you cannot use a SQL Server on a VM without a valid
license.
David Gugick
Quest Software|||I vote for a named instance. The advantage of names instances is that
they isolate the physical from the logical. Failing to do that has
caused me countless problems over the years, so I never pass up a
chance to avoid repeating that mistake.
The payback comes with configurations you knew for certain would never
change, change anyway. Example: There are problems with your
production server and have to bring up your production database on a
different box. With names instances the name can move from one box to
the other. With default, you either have to change all the apps that
point to the server, or rename the server (and then name it back when
you shift back to the original server.)
Roy
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 10:41:06 -0800, you wrote:

>Hi,
>What is the pros and cons of using Default instance and Named instance for
>Production Server?
>I have been working with Default and I had no need for named instances.
>We have a physical/vm servers for all environments.
>Production always have a physical server.
>So I have not needed a named instance.
>What do you recommend to use in Production?
>Thanks in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment