Friday, March 30, 2012

Pros vs Cons of installing MSDE on Win98 SE

Hi All,
Since I have not been able to get MSDE to work under Win2000 Pro while
logged in as a 'Power User' I have to come up with an alternative. I
have searched the MS knowledge base and posted a couple of questions
here but no one has been able to help me with this problem. I notice
that some other people have the same problem and they too were not able
to fix it.
So, my idea is to install MSDE on a Win98 SE computer. Anyone know if
this is a good/bad idea?
Thanks for any help,
Charles
"Charles E Finkenbiner" <CharlesEF_@._MailandNews.Com> wrote in message
news:eEzPbQ0EFHA.2824@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi All,
> Since I have not been able to get MSDE to work under Win2000 Pro while
> logged in as a 'Power User' I have to come up with an alternative. I have
> searched the MS knowledge base and posted a couple of questions here but
> no one has been able to help me with this problem. I notice that some
> other people have the same problem and they too were not able to fix it.
> So, my idea is to install MSDE on a Win98 SE computer. Anyone know if
> this is a good/bad idea?
MSDE on Win98SE works fine. With the notable exception of it not
automatically starting the services. Strangely this does not seem to happen
on all 98 installations. There is a workaround for (google that one).

>
> Thanks for any help,
> Charles
|||Plus, in our experience, it's much slower and way less reliable on FAT32
than on NTFS. FAT32 is great for sequential access, not good for random (as
in most databases). NTFS is a journalled filesystem. Words like
"cross-linked clusters" etc. are not words you want associated with your
database. If you are going to use it on Win98, I'd suggest leaving AutoClose
database option on for safety.
HTH,
Greg Low [MVP]
MSDE Manager SQL Tools
www.whitebearconsulting.com
"Tim Bird" <tim.bird@.nospamprettypleasehebron.co.uk> wrote in message
news:%23KgOn40EFHA.2700@.TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> "Charles E Finkenbiner" <CharlesEF_@._MailandNews.Com> wrote in message
> news:eEzPbQ0EFHA.2824@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> MSDE on Win98SE works fine. With the notable exception of it not
> automatically starting the services. Strangely this does not seem to
> happen on all 98 installations. There is a workaround for (google that
> one).
>
>
|||Power User is not enough to install applications under. Get used to it as W2K
onwards, you have to live with it. Security. Security.Security.
Win 98 Or 98SE is no longer fully supported:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifewin
Regards
Mike
"Greg Low [MVP]" wrote:

> Plus, in our experience, it's much slower and way less reliable on FAT32
> than on NTFS. FAT32 is great for sequential access, not good for random (as
> in most databases). NTFS is a journalled filesystem. Words like
> "cross-linked clusters" etc. are not words you want associated with your
> database. If you are going to use it on Win98, I'd suggest leaving AutoClose
> database option on for safety.
> HTH,
> --
> Greg Low [MVP]
> MSDE Manager SQL Tools
> www.whitebearconsulting.com
> "Tim Bird" <tim.bird@.nospamprettypleasehebron.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:%23KgOn40EFHA.2700@.TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>
>
|||"Mike Epprecht (SQL MVP)" <mike@.epprecht.net> wrote in message
news:64304A06-E8CD-4CEF-9BAA-93D53520CDB6@.microsoft.com...
> Power User is not enough to install applications under. Get used to it as
> W2K
> onwards, you have to live with it. Security. Security.Security.
> Win 98 Or 98SE is no longer fully supported:
> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifewin
I have to agree with both of you. MSDE will run on Win98 - but not as well.
Even though the sooner the message gets through to users about 98SE the
better, in the "real" world us developers still have to support Win98 and
sometimes even Win95 (Though thankfully not very often)!!!. And we still
occasionally get sales enquiries for Win3.11 installations!!!!!
[vbcol=seagreen]
> Regards
> Mike
> "Greg Low [MVP]" wrote:
|||Hi Mike,
I install MSDE while logged in as 'Administrator' and it installs fine.
It works fine as long as the person logged in has Administrator
rights. The problem is that I do not want to allow anyone to have
Administrator rights. Even I do not use a login with Administrator
rights. I, like all my users, only have 'Power User' rights and that's
the way I want to keep it.
When a 'Power User' logs in the service does not appear to start. The
SQL icon in the taskbar is blank (white circle). When I open it up
there is no computer name or services shown in the drop down lists. If
I type in the computer name and hit the 'Refresh' button then MSDE
starts to run but when I load a certain program (my ISP dialer software)
the MSI installer kicks in. Sometimes it appears to be installing but
then it rolls back and the little icon in the taskbar is gone. Other
times it just sits there and does nothing. Whatever happens the MSI
installer kicks in every time I load my ISP dialer software.
So, I install MSDE while logged in as 'Administrator' but I want MSDE to
run while anyone is logged in as a 'Power User' (without the MSI
installer kicking in every single time).
Thanks for any help,
Charles
On 2/15/2005 5:29 AM, Mike Epprecht (SQL MVP) wrote:[vbcol=seagreen]
> Power User is not enough to install applications under. Get used to it as W2K
> onwards, you have to live with it. Security. Security.Security.
> Win 98 Or 98SE is no longer fully supported:
> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifewin
> Regards
> Mike
> "Greg Low [MVP]" wrote:
>
|||I believe MSDE is still running on your system when logged in as a Power
User. The issue is that you do not have permissions to enumerate the names
of services. If you bring up Task Manager do you see sqlservr.exe running?
If you do then MSDE is up and ready for connections.
Jim
"Charles E Finkenbiner" <CharlesEF_@._MailandNews.Com> wrote in message
news:uKM%23xO2EFHA.2176@.TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...[vbcol=seagreen]
> Hi Mike,
> I install MSDE while logged in as 'Administrator' and it installs fine. It
> works fine as long as the person logged in has Administrator rights. The
> problem is that I do not want to allow anyone to have Administrator
> rights. Even I do not use a login with Administrator rights. I, like all
> my users, only have 'Power User' rights and that's the way I want to keep
> it.
> When a 'Power User' logs in the service does not appear to start. The SQL
> icon in the taskbar is blank (white circle). When I open it up there is
> no computer name or services shown in the drop down lists. If I type in
> the computer name and hit the 'Refresh' button then MSDE starts to run but
> when I load a certain program (my ISP dialer software) the MSI installer
> kicks in. Sometimes it appears to be installing but then it rolls back
> and the little icon in the taskbar is gone. Other times it just sits
> there and does nothing. Whatever happens the MSI installer kicks in every
> time I load my ISP dialer software.
> So, I install MSDE while logged in as 'Administrator' but I want MSDE to
> run while anyone is logged in as a 'Power User' (without the MSI installer
> kicking in every single time).
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Charles
> On 2/15/2005 5:29 AM, Mike Epprecht (SQL MVP) wrote:
|||Hi,
At the moment I have MSDE un-installed. I will re-install it later
today and report back.
Let's assume that what you say is true then my next questions are:
1. Why does the SQL icon even load up in the first place? If a 'Power
User' does not have the correct rights then the icon is useless.
2. Why does the MSDE installer kick in every single time my ISP dialer
is loaded? Any ideas on how to stop this?
Thanks for any help,
Charles
On 2/15/2005 9:50 AM, Jim Young wrote:[vbcol=seagreen]
> I believe MSDE is still running on your system when logged in as a Power
> User. The issue is that you do not have permissions to enumerate the names
> of services. If you bring up Task Manager do you see sqlservr.exe running?
> If you do then MSDE is up and ready for connections.
> Jim
> "Charles E Finkenbiner" <CharlesEF_@._MailandNews.Com> wrote in message
> news:uKM%23xO2EFHA.2176@.TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
|||1.SQL Service Manager is placed in the Startup folder for All Users, so it
will run no matter who logs in. If you want you can remove it after MSDE is
installed.
2. Haven't a clue.
Jim
"Charles E Finkenbiner" <CharlesEF_@._MailandNews.Com> wrote in message
news:%23whnwW4EFHA.2608@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...[vbcol=seagreen]
> Hi,
> At the moment I have MSDE un-installed. I will re-install it later today
> and report back.
> Let's assume that what you say is true then my next questions are:
> 1. Why does the SQL icon even load up in the first place? If a 'Power
> User' does not have the correct rights then the icon is useless.
> 2. Why does the MSDE installer kick in every single time my ISP dialer is
> loaded? Any ideas on how to stop this?
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Charles
> On 2/15/2005 9:50 AM, Jim Young wrote:
|||Hi,
Ok, I have re-installed MSDE SP3 on my Win2000 Pro computer, then I
applied the KB815495 patch (this is the same process I have done
before). This time the SQL icon does work when logged in as a 'Power
User' but only until I load my ISP dialer software, then MSI installer
kicks in and fails, then the SQL icon disappears from the taskbar.
This time I checked the task manager and I did see 'sqlservr.exe'
process. I 'assume' this means that the SQL server is running. I did
not have time to actually test but will try in a couple of days.
The only problem that remains is the MSDE installer that kicks in every
time the ISP dialer software is loaded. This happens to all 'Power
Users' not just me. If I change the users group from 'Power User' to
'Administrators' then the problem disappears. But, I do not want to do
this. When I change the users group back to 'Power Users' the problem
appears again.
Now, if I can figure out why this happens, so I can stop it, I will be a
happy camper.
Thanks for your help,
Charles
On 2/15/2005 1:10 PM, Jim Young wrote:[vbcol=seagreen]
> 1.SQL Service Manager is placed in the Startup folder for All Users, so it
> will run no matter who logs in. If you want you can remove it after MSDE is
> installed.
> 2. Haven't a clue.
> Jim
> "Charles E Finkenbiner" <CharlesEF_@._MailandNews.Com> wrote in message
> news:%23whnwW4EFHA.2608@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

No comments:

Post a Comment