Monday, March 26, 2012

Properties affected by Expressions

Hi,

is there any way to see which property is changed/affected by expressions? If not that would make things really complicated because you look at a property and it seams to be OK but the task doesn't do what it's supposed to because "behind the scenes" the setting is changed by an expression...

Thanks,

To see a list of properties with expression, go to the same dialog as you set the expression. The first screen shows what is set, the "Property Expressions Editor" dialog. You can also expand the "Expressions" property in the VS Properties pane of the standard MS task dialogs, and this will list the properties as well.
Is this not what you want?

|||Darren,

OK, you can see the expressions at the place where they are defined... My idea would be that properties which are overrided by expressions are shown in a different color or marked with a big blue bullet... OK, I don't insist on blue but anything you notice on the first sight would be great!|||

Thomas Pagel wrote:

Darren,

OK, you can see the expressions at the place where they are defined... My idea would be that properties which are overrided by expressions are shown in a different color or marked with a big blue bullet... OK, I don't insist on blue but anything you notice on the first sight would be great!

Very much a nice-to-have. I like it Thomas. Have you submitted it to MS?|||Jamie,

it's on the way to my blog and to MS...|||

Thomas Pagel wrote:

Jamie,

it's on the way to my blog and to MS...

I didn't know you had a blog Thomas...but I do now :)

You're on my reader!!|||Jamie,

just started some weeks ago... More content to come... At least I hope so...|||Having a way to see the expressions is a good idea - I have ran into this problem as well, only to realize I had set an expression.

I started adding an annotation with the word "Expression" by every task that has an expression, but an automated way would be ideal!

-Evan Black|||See what you are saying, and I'd go for blue too. It would be handy.

Probably quite nasty to code into the VS property-grid, and an MS only job, but certainly doable in the custom UI's. I'll bear it in mind when I get back to doing some UIs myself.|||Additionally, how about if you hover over the property it shows you any expression that isapplied to it?

-Jamie|||Yup, we had that on the plans... kind of similar to what the other VS projects have when you turn on 'Dynamic Properties'... each property in the grid has a small icon next to it.

Last time I checked that wasn't available to us for using.

But, yes, please log and vote on that.

regards|||This is along the lines of the problem with event handlers, methinks-- there is no way to see where they are, and they can be anywhere and change anything, so you can't distinguish what is real from what is not (ie, what is just irrelevant placeholder values) when you look at SSIS packages?
|||Take a look at the updated UI for the File Watcher Task. I expose the expression instead of the property when set. Hope MS implement something similar, as I know I have spent way too much time cursing trying to get stuff to work, and it was all down to an expression I forgot about. Screen shot here-

File Watcher Task
(http://www.sqlis.com/default.aspx?23)

No comments:

Post a Comment